Monday, November 18, 2013

Blog 5- Observations on November 13, 2013

This was the last observation on my microaquarium. The aquarium was fairly unchanged. I did not observe any new species, but many, such as the rotifers, died out. I found my unknown ciliate and he had reproduced. There were at least two, maybe three, of this unknown species. Dr. McFarland and I were still unable to identify him after three weeks of searching. Last week I stated that he lacked a central vacuole. This week, we believe that there may be a vacuole, however, he still does not match any species in the books. There is not much research being done on microorganisms currently, so the ciliate could have simply been missed with the older research, or it is a new species. I hope someday I will find out what he really is, but for now he is a mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment